UKC

Amethyst Pillar and Grey Slab, Coire Sputan Dearg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MrRiley 16 Jun 2023

Hi Folks, 

We had a brilliant day in Sputan Dearg last week climbing two classic routes. Trip report with lots of photos here:

https://mistymountainhop.net/a-gem-of-a-day-on-amethyst-pillar-and-grey-sla...

Have you done them? What did you think?

Cheers, 

Dave

mike barnard 16 Jun 2023
In reply to MrRiley:

Good stuff. Yeah first pitch of Amethyst Pillar is brilliant wall climbing - best VS pitch in the Cairngorms? I agree it's a shame in a way the top crack is so hard compared to the rest of the route; would be well worth a VS team doing it with a couple of aid points I reckon. 

Doug 16 Jun 2023
In reply to MrRiley:

Did Grey Slab a long time ago (at least 30 years) & suspect we took the wrong line on the top pitch which seemed desperate & on poor rock (rope of 3, all leading E1 or above at the time). But thought the slab itself was good.

Fiona Reid 16 Jun 2023
In reply to MrRiley:

Done both. I found the crack on Amethyst Pillar tough (can't jam) but really enjoyed it - I was quite happy to be on the easy end of the rope for the crack though. Grey Slab I thought was excellent and I'd happily do it again. 

If you return The Fly ain't half bad either but a long way to go for a single pitch. 

Nice write up 😀

Gripped 17 Jun 2023
In reply to MrRiley:

Thanks for the write up, it looks like a grand day and I will put them both on my climbing radar

OP MrRiley 17 Jun 2023
In reply to mike barnard:

Yeah that's a good shout - easily aidable direct up the crack from the belay

OP MrRiley 17 Jun 2023
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks! Haha yeah that is a long way for a single pitch!

In reply to MrRiley:

V nice article, proper climbing.

DC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...