UKC

Dartmoor top rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EuanGowling1 04 Oct 2023

Hi all,

Looking to introduce some mates to climbing by setting a top rope on some low grade routes in Dartmoor. Has anyone got any good recommendations since I have never been? Ideally I could set the anchor with a sling around a rock or tree but I have some old cans and nuts that I can use if needs be. 

Cheers

Cusco 04 Oct 2023
In reply to EuanGowling1:

Hound Tor - the Pulpit area (the first area on the left hand side of the avenue between the rocks). 

Some static rope is useful for the block at the top but you should be able to set up a top rope anchor with cams, nuts and slings. 

Leigh Tor has a couple of top ropes. The climbs are on the face on the right hand side as you come in from the car park. But to set up the top rope anchors you’ll need to scramble up from the far side.

Jamie Wakeham 04 Oct 2023

Sheepstor is probably the best for this - plenty of easier routes and simple access up the side.  You will need the nuts and cams; there are a few big boulders but you'll want to back them up.

Be aware that the grading is quite stiff (across the whole of Dartmoor), and the polish on easier routes a bit unnerving.

Cusco 04 Oct 2023
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

I didn’t suggest Sheepstor because of the stiff grading and unnerving polish. The Mod corner in the middle is awful! 

Mark Kemball 04 Oct 2023

Agag’s slab area at the Dewerstone has many convenient trees above it and is often used for top roping beginners. If you want to set up a bottom rope at some of the other places mentioned, it is possible but you have to know what you’re doing - a length of static rope and rope protectors would be quite useful. 

Jamie Wakeham 04 Oct 2023
In reply to Cusco:

I'm glad it's not just me...

By the the you get to Severe it's actually quite nice.

wiwwim 04 Oct 2023

Leigh tor is great for kids climbing, although it may be too easy for adults.  People do blindfolded climbing there for team building etc.

petegunn 05 Oct 2023

You might put them off forever but Chudleigh might be worth visiting being not too far from the moor, plus it's in its rain shadow so can be a lot drier. I think the area which holds Salome (VD) has a handy big tree belay and maybe the wall containing eeny miny, mo etc.

Post edited at 20:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...