UKC

Falklands climbing - a long shot

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 arose 09 Apr 2024

Anyone on the forums currently live and climb in the Falklands?  

Or... Anyone on the forums with any topos or info on crags in the Falklands they could share with me?

I'm passing through the falklands in the next couple of months - first in a few days time and then again on my return in a few weeks.  I will likely have some days to kill in both directions and plan on having my climbing shoes and chalk bag with me just in case.  I'll also have my running stuff for the bad weather days.

Any help and advice much appreciated.

Alex Riley 09 Apr 2024
In reply to arose:

Shortestpenguin on Instagram might be worth a message? They have a moonboard setup there and probably would be a good starting point.

veteye 09 Apr 2024
In reply to arose:

If I were you, I'd be hoping for routes called Belgrano, or Vulcan. 

It always sounds like a less high southern version of Skye, so perhaps the rain and running theme might be the most likely, sadly.

Also, aren't there loads of birds to see?

John Foster 09 Apr 2024
In reply to arose:

Mount Harriet has a nice VS up the centre of the main slab. Vostock I think. Would require rope and rack and partner tho.

OwenM 09 Apr 2024
In reply to arose:

Very long time since I was there so things could have changed. We used to go boldering at Murray Heights just outside Stanley. 

OP arose 09 Apr 2024
In reply to Alex Riley:

Thanks, I'll look them up

OP arose 09 Apr 2024
In reply to veteye:

I've been to both and am not sure Skye would be the first comparison I would draw.  There are indeed plenty of birds to see but in the fact that I'm headed to South Georgia for a couple of weeks (and have visited penguin colonies in the Falklands before) I'm not too concerned about missing out.

OP arose 09 Apr 2024
In reply to John Foster:

Thanks.  I messaged Donnie (who may be the first ascentionist) the other day though he said the stars were added by others and not him.  VS isnt outside the realms of soloing for me though might depend how bad the rock is.  I soloed a couple of things at mt tumbledown when I was last passing through, no idea what they were but I assume they had been climbed before.

DaveHK 09 Apr 2024
In reply to arose:

Have you spoken to Al H? Pretty sure he's climbed there but a while ago.

Mike-W-99 09 Apr 2024
In reply to arose:

I used to live there (pre climbing days) so have an interest. The Falkland islands pictures Facebook group has the occasional climbing related post. Admittedly it was 5 years ago but this was a lovely shot, maybe the climbers still living there? https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10157713854606639&set=gm.101567653...

We lived near the racecourse and me & my sister used to scramble on the craglets round the back (they are probably crap by the way but to an 8 year old in the 70s felt like scaling Everest)

Post edited at 23:01

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...