UKC

West Midlands Rock - Doug Kerr

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HKB98 29 Dec 2023
Thread moved from Rockfax to Rocktalk

Does anyone have a link or copy of West Midlands Rock by Doug Kerr. It's out of print and impossible to find.

Ed Booth 29 Dec 2023
In reply to HKB98:

New guide to the area hopefully out by Spring time

In reply to Ed Booth:

Who is behind this guide? I've heard rumours of it for at least a decade and I know Iain McKenzie was involved at the start.

In reply to HKB98:

I may have a copy I can let you have at some vaguely reasonable price. I will hunt through my shelves over the next day or two and see what I can come up with if that's of interest to you.

bobbyspangles 29 Dec 2023
In reply to HKB98:

i have a copy for sale 

pm me 

TobyA 30 Dec 2023
In reply to Ed Booth:

Wow! Really? Is it going to include the creme de la creme of Worcestershire limestone - Southstone?

Ed Booth 31 Dec 2023
In reply to HKB98:

Nick Dixon is producing a guide to the Shropshire area , and some outlying areas . It’s at draft stage and hoping to be ready at some point in the new year.

pec 01 Jan 2024
In reply to HKB98:

If you're desperate to get your hands on a copy you can get the last edition for a mere £110 or the even older edition for the bargain price of £69 from Abe Books

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/west-midlands-rock/author/kerr...

Graeme Hammond 02 Jan 2024
In reply to HKB98:

Outside have a 1988 (first edition) in exceptional condition for £5 in the 2nd book section that raises money for several charities. I'm sure postage could be arranged at cost. 

Andy Clarke 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Ed Booth:

> Nick Dixon is producing a guide to the Shropshire area , and some outlying areas . It’s at draft stage and hoping to be ready at some point in the new year.

That's great news. Do you know if it will include the Shropshire Hills sports climbing mecca of  Norton Wood? I'm concerned it may become too popular and we'll have Kalymnos-type crowds swamping the place.

David Bowler 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I think the Norton Wood grades are easier than Kalymnos so it will get mobbed.

Bulls Crack 02 Jan 2024
In reply to David Bowler:

I think the Norton Wood grades are easier than Kalymnos so it will get mobbed.

And  seemingly a greater % of 3 star routes.......

Andy Clarke 02 Jan 2024
In reply to David Bowler:

> I think the Norton Wood grades are easier than Kalymnos so it will get mobbed.

I don't think I've had my ego so destroyed by a grade since I was in Joshua Tree!

Ed Booth 02 Jan 2024
In reply to HKB98:

Yes included. And a bit of a grade reshuffle I think. 

In reply to Andy Clarke:

That's the most unexpected thing I've seen this year - a bolted mecca for the Shropshire(?) massive. Not much harder than 6a and bolts everywhere. Some of the pictures make it look half reasonable. Have you done much there and what's it really like? 

Andy Clarke 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> That's the most unexpected thing I've seen this year - a bolted mecca for the Shropshire(?) massive. Not much harder than 6a and bolts everywhere. Some of the pictures make it look half reasonable. Have you done much there and what's it really like? 

I've only been once. You need to appreciate esoterica and I have to admit my comments were rather tongue in cheek. Some of the rock is suspect, and it's economically bolted and bracingly graded. We enjoyed an entertaining day out, but were glad we'd taken a clip stick and a sense of humour.

Rob Exile Ward 04 Jan 2024
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Well, that IS a ringing  endorsement! Think I'll stick to the Lakes ... or Pontesford...

Andy Clarke 04 Jan 2024
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Ah, Pontesford - I do love that place. I presume you'll be studying my Climber article on it before your visit.

In reply to Andy Clarke:

I'm not sure I'm ever going to drive away from Dow, then past N Wales to get to Pontesford again, but you never know... Do you have a link to your article?

Fat Bumbly 2.0 04 Jan 2024

There is a lot of crumbly limestone in the woods of south Shropshire and northwest Herefordshire.  I wonder what discoveries those who like their holds detachable may find. There is more than Ippikins and Norton

When Ludlow Grammar School existed it had boarders, and one of the things they got up to was climbing at Whitcliffe * - more evidence of the mental harm caused by boarding schools?

* Bet its banned - everything is on Whitcliffe.

Post edited at 13:14
 RobAJones 04 Jan 2024
In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

> There is a lot of crumbly limestone in the woods of south Shropshire and northwest Herefordshire.  I wonder what discoveries those who like their holds detachable may find. 

After being told (flippantly ) that climbing up an old gym rope, on easy climbs, would be good training for an ascent of the Matterhorn, a Ponsbury resident took it seriously. It sounds as if they might have got an even fuller experience if they had used different  local venues. 

Andy Clarke 04 Jan 2024

I'm afraid I don't have a link. But if you're ever festering in a hut on a rainy day and flipping through old copies of Climber, it's in the issue for Jan/Feb 2023.

In reply to Andy Clarke:

Crikey - I don't read climbing mags unless their at least 10 years old - anything more recent I don't know what they're on about

Andy Clarke 04 Jan 2024

> Crikey - I don't read climbing mags unless their at least 10 years old - anything more recent I don't know what they're on about

That's OK - if I'm still in the land of the living I shall probably still be shuffling about on Pontesford ledges in 2034. Let me know then.

GarethKelley 05 Jan 2024
In reply to HKB98:

I found a copy on eBay mid-last year. I ordered it for £15 and it got delivered to my old address where I no longer lived.
My own fault.. but still.. it's been impossible to find since at a reasonable price!

Pontesford is a favourite for me and my other half. It's about an hour away from where we live near Dudley, and we always swing by Crystal's Cupcakes on the way there or back

Eam1 05 Jan 2024
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Haha you've just induced mild ptsd at some of the Joshua Tree sandbags!!

Andy Clarke 05 Jan 2024
In reply to Eam1:

> Haha you've just induced mild ptsd at some of the Joshua Tree sandbags!!

We got there fresh from Bishop where the grades had been a relief after Yosemite and I'd felt I was going well. Stepped down a couple of grades for the first route in deference to J Tree's reputation. Could not do the first move. Stepped down another grade. Had to aid the crux. Took a while to tune in - but loved the bold slabbing there once I had.

Post edited at 17:55
 simes303 26 Jan 2024
In reply to HKB98:

I've got a copy of that guide. Message me...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...