UKC

which guide book for Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Legon 02 Aug 2023

I'm hoping to head north with my 13yo daughter for a few days climbing next week. I realise that my climbing guidebook library is short for Scotland. Also, the weather isn't looking good, so will make a last minute decision on where we will go. 

With that in mind what guide book/s should I be looking to buy in advance of making the decision. Something that covers climbs (or scrambles) would be good. We won't be going too far north of Glen Coe or Aviemore, and won't be tackling anything harder than VD. 

Any recommendations will be welcome! 

Will

Eam1 02 Aug 2023
In reply to Will Legon:

You could try the SMC highland scrambles south (scrambles up to diff) or Gary Latter's Scottish Rock South 

Have fun

galpinos 02 Aug 2023
In reply to Will Legon:

Scottish Rock Climbs (SMC Wired).

CameronDuff14 02 Aug 2023
In reply to Will Legon:

I'd avoid Latter's Guidebooks if you want easier routes, it has a loads of stuff in the E1 - E6 range (even up to E10 which always struck me as odd for a guidebook aimed at covering such a huge area and a more general demographic) but doesn't cover as much of the lower grades as some of the SMC books.

The SMC Scottish Rock Climbs guide is excellent (both the new Wired Guides one and the older SMC branded one) 

Post edited at 16:15
 mike barnard 02 Aug 2023
In reply to Will Legon:

I would check out the scrambling guide mentioned above. Scrambles in Lochaber is good but maybe no longer in print?

Oscar Dodd 03 Aug 2023
In reply to Will Legon:

The new wired guide has far better topos and route descriptions than Latter's guides, especially for easier routes! 

That being said, Latter's gudiebooks are far more comprehensive, but for a week or so it shouldn't matter!

steveb2006 03 Aug 2023
In reply to Will Legon:

Another recomendation for the SMC/Wired guide.

Steve

In reply to Will Legon:

Kevin Howett's rock climbing in Scotland is a great book. It's a bit old now but if you are looking for climbs up to V Diff then it fits the bill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...