UKC

NEWS: The Zone, E9, for Jim Pope and Joe Mullett

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 08 Dec 2023

On Wednesday afternoon, Jim Pope and Joe Mullet both led The Zone, at Curbar Edge, in the Peak District.

Read more

In reply to UKC News:

Good work lads!

john arran 09 Dec 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Well done guys. And good to see that what was pretty challenging a quarter of a century ago hasn't yet become a walk in the park!

philipivan 09 Dec 2023
In reply to john arran:

You must have done good John! Has anyone else done dr doolittle recently/ ever?

john arran 09 Dec 2023
In reply to philipivan:

> Has anyone else done dr doolittle recently/ ever?

I've not heard of anyone doing it. It's a bit of a step up from The Zone, so I'd be surprised if an ascent has gone under the radar, but it's possible.

TobyA 09 Dec 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Joe and Jim.

I'm not sure if I had watched the video before, possibly but before I lived quite close to Curbar. That's a young Rob "Mr UKC" Greenwood on belay!

I don't think I had realised that the Zone uses the arete of the Peapod for a number of moves (although its about 9 grades above my best so I haven't ever really considered it in depth!). I've done the Peapod some years back but can't remember - how far are you on the arete from the crack at the back of the pod? I was trying to work out if not putting a side runner in there is just an aesthetic/style decision or whether actually it would be very hard and tenuous to pull yourself further enough to the right to place a runner?

john arran 09 Dec 2023
In reply to TobyA:

As far as I recall, Toby, it's completely out of the question as you're in the middle of the crux by then and it feels like a proper arete rather than one side of a crack.

s.hunter 11 Dec 2023
In reply to philipivan:

I was just thinking the same, would love to see Jim or others get on dr

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...