UKC

Building a climbing wall on brick surface

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 brucesmith 18 Aug 2022

Hello all

I am wanting to build my own climbing wall on the side of my parent´s double story building. The height is about 9 meters and the wall thickness is about 9 inches

My first thought was to place two or three supporting beams vertically (which you can see in this image in light orange https://postimg.cc/WFHrfw9B  ) and even horizontally using expansion bolts that go through the wood an into the wall. And then I would lay marine plywood (2444mmx24mmx1222mm) over these beams (as see in dark orange here https://postimg.cc/WFHrfw9B).

Thoughts on this would be much appreciated

Climber_Bill 18 Aug 2022
In reply to brucesmith:

It looks as though you plan to build the wall to be vertical. You will soon find training on a vertical wall a bit easy and boring. Also, being 9m high, you will usually need a belayer, very good mats or an A&E close by!

I would suggest building a freestanding wall 20 to 40 degrees overhanging, or adjustable between those, 3m high and 3 - 4m in width if you have the space. Angle depends on what you are trying to improve. 

That would allow you to train on your own and have a facility that will keep you challenged for some time.

There are lots of ideas on the web and loads of great youtube videos.

SD.

jkarran 18 Aug 2022
In reply to brucesmith:

I wouldn't.

As has been pointed out, 9m is far too high for bouldering, vertical is pretty rubbish for training and will get dull or damagingly crimpy fast. Also the size/materials you propose will be very costly.

Also, where are you, doesn't look like the UK? What's the wall actually made of (hollow thin-wall terracotta possibly?), what will you fix into to it with?

If you're dead set on your own climbing board I'd build something modest in cheap materials with angle adjustment and a nice flat landing. Do bear in mind not pulling the gable wall down, they're not always as solid as they look!

jk

abr1966 18 Aug 2022
In reply to brucesmith:

Does anyone else get a pop up for sexy russian babes looking for older men from clicking those photos??!!

Climber_Bill 18 Aug 2022
In reply to brucesmith:

Apparently these two young chaps have made quite good progress using a very short board;

youtube.com/watch?v=e-G3A5N8eoo&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...