UKC

Calisthetics as training for climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Ola. Buenas trades.

There is a Calisthetics class at Font Wandsworth tomorrow and I am planning to attend.

Things that will be covered are:

• Front Lever 
  • Back Lever
  • Human Flag

In your opinion are calisthetics valuable to climbing?

Tonight I attended a workshop at CanaryWall on heel hooks, toe hooks and rockovers.

Sav

Team La Sportiva Solution Comp 

Shani 12 Apr 2023
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Basically, yes, calisthenics are useful in climbing:

1. As a supplement to climbing itself (eg front levers build lat & core strength useful on overhanging rock), and,

2. As a means to address imbalances in the body. Most regular climbers should work skin-the-cats for shoulder-girdle health and handstands).

What it comes down to are your goals and exercise selection.  

Post edited at 22:45
In reply to Shani:

> Basically, yes, calisthenics are useful in climbing:

Thanks 👍 😀

> 1. As a supplement to climbing itself (eg front levers build lat & core strength useful on overhanging rock), and,

I used to wonder how people do these - I've seen some people do them at Mile End and The Castle.

> 2. As a means to address imbalances in the body. Most regular climbers should work skin-the-cats for shoulder-girdle health and handstands).

There is also another class for handstands - I used to try to do hard yoga inversions.

> What it comes down to are your goals and exercise selection.  

I have some grit problems I want to do at  Stanage Plantation and my sport climbing interests are all steep crags.

Sav 

One half of Team La Sportiva Solution Comp .

We are one! We are a team! 

Post edited at 23:17

jezb1 13 Apr 2023

They don’t look like Sportiva Comps 😂

> Instagram videos of Workshop.

Umfana 13 Apr 2023

Magnus and Chris Heria exploring the same question.

youtube.com/watch?v=jqEYazfuNRE&

Shani 13 Apr 2023
In reply to Umfana:

> Magnus and Chris Heria exploring the same question.

I think this tells us more about how fear impairs performance! 😆

Both are incredibly able athletes. 

Post edited at 20:48
In reply to Umfana:

I will watch this tonight 

jezb1 14 Apr 2023

I speak enough Spanish to read what you’ve written, understanding what on earth you’re on about though is another matter!

SuperstarDJ 14 Apr 2023

Supplementary question - has anyone used any of the Calisthenics apps that are advertised on Facebook, Instagram etc?  Are there any that anyone would recommend?  They offer tailored daily programmes (for a subscription).  I was thinking of giving it a go for a couple of months. I'm doing a little running at the moment but other than lifting and shifting my three small children (wriggling kettlebells) I'm not doing much else.

David

Post edited at 10:10
In reply to Shani:

> I think this tells us more about how fear impairs performance! 😆

> Both are incredibly able athletes. 

Too right.

In reply to Umfana:

I saw that film and I loved it. Chris is quite funny and he seemed to enjoy the climbing.

I had problems booking a place on the class so I ended up going to Boulderama instead.

In reply to SuperstarDJ:

> Supplementary question - has anyone used any of the Calisthenics apps that are advertised on Facebook, Instagram etc?  Are there any that anyone would recommend?  They offer tailored daily programmes (for a subscription).  I was thinking of giving it a go for a couple of months. I'm doing a little running at the moment but other than lifting and shifting my three small children (wriggling kettlebells) I'm not doing much else.

> David

I haven't but I so remember reading about levers of various kinds in Training For Climbing and in a video the author does recommend them for core strength. IMO, I think Human Flag would be good for cut loosing and body bridges. Some exercises are also recommended by The Cafe Kraft people in a few Epic TV videos.

In reply to Shani:

There are several Lattice Training videos on Front Levers.

Here is one of them.

youtube.com/watch?v=50axsh_Kz0Y&

Shani 15 Apr 2023

> There are several Lattice Training videos on Front Levers.

> Here is one of them.

Cheers, but it's information 20 years past its usefulness to me! There were a few of us pushing bodyweight & gymnastic training routines on here in the 2000s. Back then it was seen then as 'niche' 😀

The ring-routine I outlined here in 2008 is still my basic go-to.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/walls+training/training_for_climbing_with...

In reply to Shani:

> Cheers, but it's information 20 years past its usefulness to me! There were a few of us pushing bodyweight & gymnastic training routines on here in the 2000s. Back then it was seen then as 'niche' 😀

> The ring-routine I outlined here in 2008 is still my basic go-to.

At Font Wandsworth there is a guy who does gymnast rings classes.

In reply to Shani:

> Basically, yes, calisthenics are useful in climbing:

> 1. As a supplement to climbing itself (eg front levers build lat & core strength useful on overhanging rock), and,

Totally. Too right.

> 2. As a means to address imbalances in the body. Most regular climbers should work skin-the-cats for shoulder-girdle health and handstands). 

Yesterday, I tried to do skin-the-cat but even after several attempts I couldn't do full rep. Are gymnast rings better for it than pull up bars.

> What it comes down to are your goals and exercise selection.  

Sav 

Shani 17 Apr 2023

> Yesterday, I tried to do skin-the-cat but even after several attempts I couldn't do full rep. Are gymnast rings better for it than pull up bars.

The rings rotate, so yes, they're generally easier as you'll naturally adjust to favour stronger muscles. Bars and rings both have their place to work pronation and supination as you pull back from a StC.

In reply to Shani

> The rings rotate, so yes, they're generally easier as you'll naturally adjust to favour stronger muscles. Bars and rings both have their place to work pronation and supination as you pull back from a StC.

I am doing a board social at a wall tomorrow evening and in the board room they have rings.

I have found out recently that the pistol squat is part of calisthenics! 🦵🦶

Post edited at 16:56
In reply to jezb1:

I haven't got mine yet. 👍😀

In reply to Shani:

> The rings rotate, so yes, they're generally easier as you'll naturally adjust to favour stronger muscles. Bars and rings both have their place to work pronation and supination as you pull back from a StC.

I did the Intro Class and along with some feed back I was given some exercises to do at home or at a wall.

Post edited at 17:47
In reply to Shani:

The exercises can be found on my Instagram account.

https://instagram.com/savenlaue?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...