UKC

Deadlifting as part of warm up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi 

Does anyone deadlift as part of their warm up for climbing?

I know Lattice recommend it as core training.

I tried it on Wednesday as part of my warm up at a CanaryWall session that was based on Dynos and coordination - low weight deadlifting really helped with overhangs and heel hooks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpNeiyatSZ2/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

It is the third one I attended.

Guess where I am off to this week for indoor leading and bouldering? 

Sav

CantClimbTom 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

All just my opinion... I train deadlift and I think it's very valuable but I wouldn't use it as a warm up, I'd say it's better as an exercise in itself not as warm-up. 

IMHO something like a quick set of bird dogs would be better to warmup the same muscles (https://www.healthline.com/health/bird-dog-exercise) Warning: you might look like a right idiot when doing them, so it's not something for people who are self conscious. 

I'd also say for a climber to always deadlift DOH (double overhand) not mixed grip or hook grip and to only start training high rep sets once you get to the strength and experience where you can DOH double your bodyweight.

Look after your back and watch carefully to avoid upper shoulder rounding and "scared cat back". If form gets shaky, better to go lighter and less reps with good form than practice bad form. Film yourself now and again with phone from the side to check your form. Doing a lot of high rep sets risks form breakdown when you get tired and then practicing that poor form and developing bad technique into your muscle memory.

Then again I love heavy low rep sets (well heavy for me anyway) squats 3 times a week which no climber in their right mind (possibly except Tommy Caldwell) ever does, so this whole post could be nonsense Edit: and I'm cr** at climbing 

Enjoy...

Post edited at 20:27
 ExiledScot 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Squats training for climbing is underrated, it's near essential for using french hut toilets whilst holding your breath. 

bouldery bits 18 Mar 2023

I certainly wouldn't choose to use a deadlift as a warm up for anything.

I think it has other useful applications. That said, I'd also be super cautious with ensuring proper technique.

Take care! 

> All just my opinion... I train deadlift and I think it's very valuable but I wouldn't use it as a warm up, I'd say it's better as an exercise in itself not as warm-up. 

I do various things in my warm up including some campus board stuff for arms and fingers. I didn't use heavy weights - 2.5kg on each side. 

> IMHO something like a quick set of bird dogs would be better to warmup the same muscles (https://www.healthline.com/health/bird-dog-exercise) Warning: you might look like a right idiot when doing them, so it's not something for people who are self conscious. 

Bird dog wise, one day I did bird dog holds for 1 minute each way to see if I had a strong lower back.

> I'd also say for a climber to always deadlift DOH (double overhand) not mixed grip or hook grip and to only start training high rep sets once you get to the strength and experience where you can DOH double your bodyweight.

I was using DOH and I did 4 sets of around 6 reps per set.

> Look after your back and watch carefully to avoid upper shoulder rounding and "scared cat back". If form gets shaky, better to go lighter and less reps with good form than practice bad form. Film yourself now and again with phone from the side to check your form. Doing a lot of high rep sets risks form breakdown when you get tired and then practicing that poor form and developing bad technique into your muscle memory.

As far as I can remember, the coach in the Lattice video recommended filming too. A long time  used to deadlift at a local gym.   

youtube.com/watch?v=TIF7aIg-Pl0&

> Then again I love heavy low rep sets (well heavy for me anyway) squats 3 times a week which no climber in their right mind (possibly except Tommy Caldwell) ever does, so this whole post could be nonsense Edit: and I'm cr** at climbing 

Myself, I love squats.

> Enjoy...

In reply to bouldery bits:

> I certainly wouldn't choose to use a deadlift as a warm up for anything.

It was an experiment that went  (very) well.

> I think it has other useful applications. That said, I'd also be super cautious with ensuring proper technique.

I think Lattice Training classify it as core training and working the posterior chain. I did it a bit different from the Lattice video - I used to deadlift at a local gym. One time at Depot Sheffield, I saw a coach teaching his client how to deadlift before she started climbing.

> Take care! 

Thank you 

JimR 19 Mar 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

I read this as defecating as part of warm up for climbing… and thought it was stating the obvious.

In reply to JimR:

> I read this as defecating as part of warm up for climbing… and thought it was stating the obvious.

😆😂

Did it Depot Sheffied on Thursday - it worked really well for heel hooks. I did it today at WS and it was amazing for rockovers  on F4 and F4+.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqIwycQjQt-/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Post edited at 23:35
 Qwerty2019 28 Mar 2023

Never seen deadlift and warm up used in the same sentence.  Deadlift is a compound lift using various muscle groups which in turn should be warmed up before you even start deadlifting.  Once i am warmed up reasonably well i then go through a sequence of lifts getting gradually heavier to warm up for my working sets of deadlifts.  I stand corrected, there are lots o ways to fit deadlift and warm up into the same sentence

In reply to Qwerty2019:

> Never seen deadlift and warm up used in the same sentence.  Deadlift is a compound lift using various muscle groups which in turn should be warmed up before you even start deadlifting.  Once i am warmed up reasonably well i then go through a sequence of lifts getting gradually heavier to warm up for my working sets of deadlifts.  I stand corrected, there are lots o ways to fit deadlift and warm up into the same sentence

It is compound exercise that works many groups.  It is one of the last parts of my warm up before arms stuff like campus board and deadhangs - are you looking for your 1RM. 😀

In reply to Qwerty2019:

> Never seen deadlift and warm up used in the same sentence.  Deadlift is a compound lift using various muscle groups which in turn should be warmed up before you even start deadlifting.  Once i am warmed up reasonably well i then go through a sequence of lifts getting gradually heavier to warm up for my working sets of deadlifts.  I stand corrected, there are lots o ways to fit deadlift and warm up into the same sentence

Today at WS, I increased the weights on the deadlift to 5kg on each side totalling 10kg but kept tnt sets and reps the same. 😎😀

CantClimbTom 11 Apr 2023

Although I'm still not an enthusiast for using deadlift as a warmup exercise, for the last 3 weeks or so (and continuing) I've been adding to the end of every 3-times-a-week gym sessions, 3 light sets of DL (DOH grip) with fatgripz on the bar.

These make the bar substantially thicker, to a thicker diam than my hand can grip around closed, so my hand/grip is part open when holding the bar. I'm doing it to increase DOH deadlift grip (I hate hook grip) as my 1 rep max had been limited by grip. Although it's only been maybe 10 sessions so far I'm sure my deadlift grip is stronger already AND I reckon there would be a direct carry over to climbing grip strength. If you have fatgripz or can borrow, maybe try fatgripz-deadlift as a finisher for your climbing sessions.

Even when your grip isn't tired, with fatgripz you'd be amazed just how light that bar can be and be a fight to complete 5 or 10 reps without dropping it! Start with sets of 5 on about 1/3 of your 1 rep max to get a feel for this and work up from somewhere round there

Post edited at 06:55

> Although I'm still not an enthusiast for using deadlift as a warmup exercise, for the last 3 weeks or so (and continuing) I've been adding to the end of every 3-times-a-week gym sessions, 3 light sets of DL (DOH grip) with fatgripz on the bar.

Why are the words warmup and fatgripz in bold?!

> These make the bar substantially thicker, to a thicker diam than my hand can grip around closed, so my hand/grip is part open when holding the bar. I'm doing it to increase DOH deadlift grip (I hate hook grip) as my 1 rep max had been limited by grip. Although it's only been maybe 10 sessions so far I'm sure my deadlift grip is stronger already AND I reckon there would be a direct carry over to climbing grip strength. If you have fatgripz or can borrow, maybe try fatgripz-deadlift as a finisher for your climbing sessions.

> Even when your grip isn't tired, with fatgripz you'd be amazed just how light that bar can be and be a fight to complete 5 or 10 reps without dropping it! Start with sets of 5 on about 1/3 of your 1 rep max to get a feel for this and work up from somewhere round there

CantClimbTom 24 Apr 2023

I don't know why in bold, it must have made sense to me at the time! But reading again I've no idea why I did that, sorry, just ignore me...

Also not sure why you asking a simple question got a downvote, but there are a lot of random downvotes about so I'd ignore that as well

Post edited at 08:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...