UKC

Go cheap-ish and live it large

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Heya.

Not sure if this belongs here or partners forum 

I am heading to Sheffield tomorrow to indoor lead at The Foundry on Tuesday and Wednesday with someone I met on Sheffield Climbers at FB page. I haven't booked my hotel and I am undecided on should I go cheap like an Ibis or Easy Hotel or live it large in Novotel, Hilton or Crowne Plaza.

The last two times I stayed at Hampton by Hilton.

Should I go cheap-ish or live it large?

ExiledScot 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Work it out as £ per hr that you'll be awake in said establishment, as once asleep it's irrelevant. If arriving somewhere at 9pm and exiting at 7am then to me why spend £100+ when you can find way cheaper, yeah you might get a fancy breakfast but the price difference will buy you 3 meals in a good cafe elsewhere. 

Post edited at 21:20
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Work it out as £ per hr that you'll be awake in said establishment, as once asleep it's irrelevant. If arriving somewhere at 9pm and exiting at 7am then to me why spend £100+ when you can find way cheaper, yeah you might get a fancy breakfast but the price difference will buy you 3 meals in a good cafe elsewhere. 

I'll be arriving in the afternoon then leaving after breakfast the Tuesday and Wednesday and returning to London after breakfast on Thursday. Breakfast is usually between 0700-0930hrs.

I don't have much of an big expenditure at the moment.

Sav 

PaulJepson 11 Sep 2022

The Ibis is well located to get out to the peak on Eccy Road.

In reply to PaulJepson:

> The Ibis is well located to get out to the peak on Eccy Road.

Which Ibis?

I am not planning to get out in rock this time. The leads are of CWI and  Malham Cove project!

Sav

Post edited at 22:00
 Ian Parsons 11 Sep 2022

Hah! I always regarded Ibis as being at the 'luxury' end of the scale; probably says more about me than about you.

In reply to Ian Parsons:

> Hah! I always regarded Ibis as being at the 'luxury' end of the scale; probably says more about me than about you.

I think it depends on the location. The closer to city centre the bigger the rate.

Sav

One thing. Some hotels have training facilities like pools and gyms that I can use for yoga and or physio/rehab.

Rob Parsons 12 Sep 2022

> I am heading to Sheffield tomorrow to indoor lead at The Foundry on Tuesday and Wednesday with someone I met on Sheffield Climbers at FB page. I haven't booked my hotel and I am undecided on should I go cheap like an Ibis or Easy Hotel or live it large in Novotel, Hilton or Crowne Plaza.

> The last two times I stayed at Hampton by Hilton.

> Should I go cheap-ish or live it large?

Be scientific. Base your decision on the quality of the breakfasts.

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Be scientific. Base your decision on the quality of the breakfasts.

Hi Rob.

Saracasm?

The last two times I stayed at Hampton by Hilton the breakfast was very good and I actually mentioned it in the review of the hotel I wrote on TripAdvisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Profile/SavClimber_1/Review/841280986

Bye 

Sav

Just to let people know. I can lead climb safely and lead belay safely.

spenser 17 Sep 2022

Just take a look on booking.com or some such and find somewhere cheap to stay near the walls you are visiting.

Hotel rooms are 4 walls and a bed, you don't need training facilities or anything fancy, rooms will usually have enough room for some gentle yoga stretches anyway if you want to do that. 

In reply to spenser:

Done and dusted. But I have other destinations in mind.

Sav on Sab 

Post edited at 17:31
In reply to spenser:

> Just take a look on booking.com or some such and find somewhere cheap to stay near the walls you are visiting.

Even though I will travel to other cities, Sheffield is a home from to me.

> Hotel rooms are 4 walls and a bed, you don't need training facilities or anything fancy, rooms will usually have enough room for some gentle yoga stretches anyway if you want to do that. 

I did not use the gym in the hotel but I did practice a bit of Dynamic Vinyasa Flow yoga in my bedroom.

Sav 

> Just to let people know. I can lead climb safely and lead belay safely.

Wondering who down voted this post. 

Now looking for accommodation for my Nottingham trip.

>  

> Wondering who down voted this post. 

A few dickheads.

To the dickheads, if you don't like reading mountain spirits posts don't read them. 

In reply to mountain.martin:

> A few dickheads.

Too right.

> To the dickheads, if you don't like reading mountain spirits posts don't read them. 

Thank you.

Sav

CantClimbTom 23 Sep 2022

Not enough information to make a decision yet.

This IBIS hotel... is there a good cafe nearby it (ot on your route between it and climbing)?

In reply to CantClimbTom:

Best way to check is using Google Maps. I remember having Cappuccino at a coffee shop near the hotel I stayed at but it was on the way to Foundry as I met with my climbing partner a bit late.

Post edited at 12:34
In reply to PaulJepson:

None of the Budget ones - St Mary's Gate or Sheffield Arena - are close to Eccy Road.

Edit:  But it was not on the way to The Foundry.

In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Not enough information to make a decision yet.

> This IBIS hotel... is there a good cafe nearby it (ot on your route between it and climbing)?

Have you replied to the wrong person or are you saying that Hamptons by Hilton used to be an IBIS?

Sav

PaulJepson 23 Sep 2022

The St Mary's Gate budget IBIS is at the bottom of Eccy Road. 

In reply to PaulJepson:

What is Eccy short for Ecclesfield or Eccleshall?

CantClimbTom 23 Sep 2022

It's just your decision on original post was between Hamptons or "...should I go cheap like an Ibis..." which is why I mentioned Ibis. Personally: I'd be as happy with an Ibis if there was a good "caff" nearby.

(Intentional wrong spelling to imply somewhere that does e.g. scrambled eggs on toast and mug of tea, rather than e.g. skinny wet latte and smashed avocado bruschetta) 

Post edited at 14:09
 PaulJepson 23 Sep 2022

Ecclesall. A625. 

In reply to PaulJepson:

Thanks for this.

PaulJepson 23 Sep 2022

No worries. It's not ideally situated for many of the climbing centres but only about 7 miles to Stanage. 

Derry 23 Sep 2022

LIVE IT LARGE.

that is all. 

In reply to PaulJepson:

> No worries. It's not ideally situated for many of the climbing centres but only about 7 miles to Stanage. 

I've only ever been to Stanage when I did my BMC Ready to Rock course. 

I will have it mind for when I climb at Stanage.

Sav

In reply to Derry:

Too right!

Why not?

In reply to Derry:

> LIVE IT LARGE.

> that is all. 

You can go and breakfast at a Cafe to save money but lovely location.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186364-d192701-Reviews-Best_Wes...

In reply to Derry:

I have a loyalty card for Hyge near Sheffied Hallam Uni - that branch close to Fitzalan Square - and I only need two more to clips to get a free drink.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186364-d19879966-Reviews-H...

Sav

Post edited at 17:21

I've stayed a night in the Easyhotel in town and it was fine - a tiny room with a decent enough bed and a shower. I wasn't spending any time in it. No breakfast but you could easily go out for food and coffee - few places in town or in Kelham Island, where the Foundry is, and which you can walk to.  

Post edited at 22:00
 Derry 24 Sep 2022

> I have a loyalty card for Hyge near Sheffied Hallam Uni - that branch close to Fitzalan Square - and I only need two more to clips to get a free drink.

> Sav

I have no idea where or what that is, but you go for it mate! free drinks are free drinks! GO LAARRRGGEEE

FamSender 25 Sep 2022

Congratulations on your 8c+! Did you find it hard? Your training must have gone well!!

In reply to Derry:

Too right.

Love your posts.

Sav

In reply to FamSender:

Lol. 

Haha. 

I posted in the other thread why I ticked the route.

Not even my idea to do the route.

Sav

Post edited at 18:25
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

I've seen the Easy Hotel on TripAdvisor and I think I may have walked passed it a few times - thanks for the info about it.

I almost ended up at Kelham Island on my way from The Foundry to the brewery burger joint near it - there are a few good places near The Foundry for food etc.

Sav

Post edited at 19:04
In reply to FamSender:

> Congratulations on your 8c+! Did you find it hard? Your training must have gone well!!

Pull ups are easy now thanks to a bit of Vinyasa Flow yoga as warm up.

Do I know you? Have we met?

SavatFoundryCAC

Any good cafes between The Foundry and The Best Western Hotel?

Post edited at 12:20
 ThunderCat 26 Sep 2022

As someone else said, it's four walls and a roof.  As long as it's clean (and you can get generally get that info from Tripadvisor) then I'd go on the cheap side.

Of course if you're going to be there for more an extended period then stuff like pools and gyms become a factor.

But I'm a naturally tight bugger

Neil Williams 26 Sep 2022

I pretty much always go Premier Inn.  I find Travelodges just a little bit too crap.  Ibis in the UK is similar to PI but usually more expensive.

Post edited at 14:18
In reply to Neil Williams:

Hi Neil.

> I pretty much always go Premier Inn.  I find Travelodges just a little bit too crap.  Ibis in the UK is similar to PI but usually more expensive.

I've stayed in a Premier Inn when did the Coaching Children Workshop at Kendal Wall a few years ago. I found my room to be a bit small and that bathroom a tad cramped but apart apart from those two things and paying extra for breakfast there was nothing wrong with my stay.

I have never stayed in a Travelodge but I know someone who has. 

Sav 

Post edited at 14:55
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Of course if you're going to be there for more an extended period then stuff like pools and gyms become a factor.

When I was in Sheffield in September I stayed for three nights but I am not sure if that counts as an extended period time. I did plan to use the gym but I just run out of time on both days.

> But I'm a naturally tight bugger

I think I am more money conscious than tight and this was a bit of a last minute booking.

Post edited at 16:06
In reply to FamSender:

Oh Fiddlesticks!!!!

Gracias.

It was challenging. The most challenging but was the run out.

The training went very well.

Sav

In reply to FamSender:

I don't know how to reply to this. 

I would have breakfast in a hotel if I had a workshop or training that started in at 10 am or I had arranged to be picked up from the hotel to go for a days climbing at a crag.  

Sav

In reply to FamSender:

Ola. Buenas noches

Por favor, ¿puedo enviarle un mensaje privado aquí? 

Adiós

Sav

In reply to FamSender:

This is the lowdown from tonight's yoga session.

I am all psyched for the session and possible trip to Depot Sheffield the coming week.....

... Two minutes before the session starts in walks the lady I talk to, wearing a Hoody with Tribe on the back on it, says Hi to me - and nobody else - then gives me a huge smile ....

.... At the end of the session she says bye to me with a smile.

I have found my happy place in the class - Malham Cove Catwalk doing Raindogs (8a) .

Sav in La Sportiva. 

Post edited at 22:26
In reply to FamSender:

Curbar Edge

Post edited at 00:30

In reply to Derry:

According to Google Maps, It is 8 mins walk from the Best Western Plus Quays Hotel.

In reply to FamSender:

I am booked here from Wednesday 12th till early Friday.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186364-d192701-Reviews-Best_Wes...

Sav 

Post edited at 00:32

Just to let people know.

I am in my room in the hotel - Best Western Quays.

Sav

In reply to Derry:

> I have no idea where or what that is, but you go for it mate! free drinks are free drinks! GO LAARRRGGEEE

I am due a free one very next time! WOOHOO!!!! WOOPWOOP!!!!

SheffHall Uni is means something to me.

DepotSav

Post edited at 21:51

JLS 15 Oct 2022

Enough about the coffee, did you climb anything?

In reply to JLS:

> Enough about the coffee, did you climb anything?

Yes I did. Greens and Whites. Attempted two comp problems. 

I have photos but I need to download them from FB messenger.

They are keen for me to return.

Sav. 

JLS 15 Oct 2022

Good stuff. Keep at it.

In reply to JLS:

Thanks.

Got a Depot Card and my session was free.

I will return very soon.

Sav

Post edited at 13:45

In reply to JLS:

> Good stuff. Keep at it.

As Arnie said in The Terminator (8b+): I'll be back (early Nov).

Sav

JLS 15 Oct 2022

Good to see the action shots.

In reply to JLS:

Too right.

I have two more photos but you are only allowed to post five at a time.

Post edited at 21:51

Hmmm.

Why would someone get free entrance at a wall?

Sav

Post edited at 20:21

In reply to Dave Todd:

Very funny video but I didn't use any of these methods.

Would a climber sponsored by a wall group get free entry at walls?

Sav 

JLS 16 Oct 2022

I suspect they just fancied the cut of your jib and you charmed your way to a freebie. Calling it “sponsorship” may be a stretch.  

In reply to JLS:

> I suspect they just fancied the cut of your jib and you charmed your way to a freebie. Calling it “sponsorship” may be a stretch.  

I was wearing a blue jumper, and red 'climbing' trousers but the guy only saw the plain jumper. I did tell the guy at reception that I was going to Nottingham Depot and he suggested the 12 month pass and get £9 entry but I didn't do any transaction with my card.

I don't think I used any charm.

I did send Depot Sheffield an Instagram DM asking if Depot Climbing are sponsoring me and no reply - I also commented on Depot Sheffield's Instagram about it. 

Sav

Post edited at 21:39
 JLS 16 Oct 2022

Because I don’t know how to do air quotes in a post so I just used real quotes.  

What do people think of this song?

youtube.com/watch?v=bvd3qCnsAaY&

DepotMan Sav

If I were sponsored by Depot Climbing, could I get someone banned from Depot Climbing walls?

Maggot 19 Oct 2022

Who are you thinking of getting banned, Toni Braxton?

In reply to Maggot:

> Who are you thinking of getting banned, Toni Braxton?

No way. I love her songs. My second cousin and husband.

Depot Climbing Para Siempre!

Sav

In reply to Maggot:

> Who are you thinking of getting banned, Toni Braxton?

This is the lowdown from last night's yoga session. 

Before the class I was talking to people about climbing including two Australian class members  as the Australians knew about the Blue Mountains and Arapiles and they know about The Roaches. 

I don't know why, sadly Tribe Girl didn't turn up and nor did her friend who looks like someone I know from a climbing gear shop.

Another girl called Amy kept smiling at me   but I didn't pay her any attention.

After class I heard from a friend and I found out that....

..... Tengo novia!!!!

DepoMan 

Post edited at 21:55
 McHeath 20 Oct 2022

Sav, this thread is wandering a bit. And aren't those smileys in the sentence about Amy the wrong way round?

In reply to McHeath:

> Sav, this thread is wandering a bit. And aren't those smileys in the sentence about Amy the wrong way round?

MCH,

Just a bit. Like a trad route where two ropes will be needed and sling draws (extension QDs) or a sport route at  Malham Cove such as Rainshadow (9a) and/or Bat Shadow (8c+) .

¿Por qué deberían ser al revés?

Sav on purples.

Post edited at 00:31
In reply to McHeath: 

> Sav, this thread is wandering a bit. And aren't those smileys in the sentence about Amy the wrong way round?

Please can you elaborate on where the thread is wandering.

Shall I bring it back to original topic then?

Why would I pay attention to someone else when I am with Caz?

Amy on smiles at me when Caz isn't there.

Sav

Post edited at 12:23
 tehmarks 21 Oct 2022

> Sav on purples.

I'll take three of those please.

I am returning to Sheffield for a long-ish weekend (1st weekend of November) to train at Depot and either lead at Foundry or go on real rock.

I loved staying in The Quays Hotel - Best Western Plus - but they did charge me a little extra than was in Booking.com (the extra guest price).

I an going to write a review on Tripadvisor for the hotel.

Do you think I should return here?

Post edited at 13:07

In reply to tehmarks:

> I'll take three of those please.

Lol. Hilarious

They are just caffeine and protein from nuts.

I was referring to the purple circuit at Depot Sheffield where I tried a few problems.

Sav

Post edited at 13:20

Should be only smiles at me when Caz isn't there.

In reply to McHeath:

What bit of my thread are you interested in?

Nothing wrong with being a one woman man.

Sav

Sav, chill.

This started as a thread about hotels and now we've got you talking about women, doing purples at the depot, sponsorship and god knows what else.

Get back to Sheffield, or any wall for that matter, and just go climbing!!!

Post edited at 13:37
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Busy week this week.

• Mon: WestWays or WS social 
  • Tues: Board Social at CanaryWall
  • Wed: Yoga
  • Thurs: Boulderama at CanaryWall 

Sav

In reply to tehmarks:

> I'll take three of those please.

Oo

All about Man-woman relationship knowledge.

Sav

Post edited at 13:51
 deepsoup 21 Oct 2022

> Nothing wrong with being a one woman man.

Sav, I'm not sure it's really my place to say anything here but I feel like somebody should.

Forgive me if I have the wrong end of the stick, but you're not actually in a relationship with this woman are you?  I mean you're not dating or anything?

This isn't quite like convincing yourself that dozens of famous climbers are encouraging you to take on some ludicrously hard project or that a climbing wall has decided to sponsor you and somehow neglected to tell you about it.  It has the potential to inadvertently make you seem a little bit creepy, so please be careful.

In reply to deepsoup:

This ^

PS - I think this is very diplomatically put, have been thinking about posting something similar but you've expressed this really well.

Post edited at 13:56
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

What is wrong with my schedule reply?

Nothing wrong with your reply buddy but perhaps the downvotes are because you've just ignored what was said after it.

As I just said to you on messenger, think before you post!!

In reply to deepsoup:

> Sav, I'm not sure it's really my place to say anything here but I feel like somebody should.

> Forgive me if I have the wrong end of the stick, but you're not actually in a relationship with this woman are you?  I mean you're not dating or anything?

> This isn't quite like convincing yourself that dozens of famous climbers are encouraging you to take on some ludicrously hard project or that a climbing wall has decided to sponsor you and somehow neglected to tell you about it.  It has the potential to inadvertently make you seem a little bit creepy, so please be careful.

Post edited at 14:39
In reply to deepsoup:

I've emailed you back about coaching and my climbing history.

deepsoup 21 Oct 2022

Ok.  I wrote quite a long reply to your post, which I couldn't then post because you had deleted yours.  (It took a while - we're well outside my field of expertise here.)

I'm not going to copy/paste that, but really the gist of it was just to repeat what I wrote above and be a bit more blunt about it. 

[Edit - I've ended up re-writing more or less the same post anyway.  I was hoping someone else might have made a better job of it by now but apparently not, and I still think the following needs saying so here goes..]

You're not in a romantic relationship with someone unless they say you are.  Clearly and unmistakably in words, not smiles or friendly gestures that are often open to (mis)interpretation.  Not even after you have been out on a date together, let alone while you're just thinking about asking them out.

Honestly, someone smiling at you and being friendly at a yoga class - or in any other context - means only that they are being friendly and polite, nothing more.  If you enjoy each other's company while you're in the same space practising together that's great, and it's potentially a really good way to become friends with someone, perhaps even something more, but that's it - nothing but a vague possibility.  It hasn't actually happened until they agree with you, clearly and explicitly, that it has.

For what it's worth, until they reply to your email or otherwise clearly tell you that you are, you're not sponsored by The Depot either.  Though I'm sure they're delighted to have you as a very enthusiastic customer.

But this relationship stuff is more important, because getting this wrong with somebody can actually be quite scary for them and even has the potential to get you into trouble.  As I said above, even though it's clearly the last thing you would want to do, there's a risk of making yourself seem a bit creepy.

There's no need to reply to this post.  In fact I'd prefer it if you don't, because it feels like I'm having a go at you somehow being so blunt and it's uncomfortable so I don't want to keep banging on about it.  Just please take some time to give it a bit of thought.

Post edited at 15:48

Who thinks that the guitarist looks like a certain crack climbing maestro?

Just having a bit of fun here and chilling out.

Post edited at 23:33

FamSender.

Care to have a say.

Dude, if you'd take a piece of well-intentioned advice: stop posting on this thread and start a new one when you've got something focused to say. Saying you're just having fun when somebody has just said you're coming across as a bit of stalker-type (however much that's not the intention) and then calling out randoms for replies - just take a step back and wait until you've got something positive/ meaningful for people to engage with. 

In reply to Wyre Forest Illuminati: 

Dude, a friend suggested to chill out so I asked a question about the singer in the video to lighten the tone of the thread.

Should have quoted the original.

Didn't that user turn out to be you know you?

Post edited at 20:21

To those who are interested in the whole Depot Climbing sponsoring thing....

.... I phoned Depot Sheffield today but all there was no one to take my call at the time.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Please read deepsoup's post above really carefully and reflect on what it means. I'm out - take it steady.

In reply to Wyre Forest Illuminati:

I've emailed him 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...