UKC

How much equipment needed for TFtNA?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 15 Dec 2021

I've had a crappy 20 months of shoulder injuries and a slow recovery from having Covid (probably Delta). I've been doing "normal gym workouts" at a commercial gm and the odd indoor climb and I'm finally starting to get my fitness back (was a fitness nut before I began climbing).

I'm keen start an alpine training plan and hoping to get TFtNA from Santa, but wondering how much equipment is needed?

I've got a small boulder wall nearby, a lead wall a bit of a journey away but no hills nearby. I'm probably going to drop the gym membership to save some cash and I've got some kettlebells and a pullup bar at home with a TRX.

HammondR 15 Dec 2021
In reply to rockwing: I have been through a number of training cycles using TFtNA over the years. 

In my experience you can certainly get away without using a gym for parts, but it is difficult to really get stuck into the max strength phase without a gym.

The core body ("killer core routine") can be done at home easily enough. Big water bottles for kayaker and side thingummy.

General strength requires a few bits and pieces.

1) somewhere to do pull ups and leg raise. I us a beastmaker I can fix on a doorframe. Can you hang from anything else?

2) one or two rucksacks filled with big bottles of water. I use a 15kg bagful for press ups and dips, a 25kg bagful for split bench squat (other foot up on the sofa) and weighted step ups (up a step!), and both bags on front and back for squats. Just keep adding bottles as you require.

2 kitchen chairs and feet on the sofa for dips, same 2 chairs the other way round with a sweeping brush across for inverted rows.

It's only really when it becomes too awkward to get enough weight on your back for the legs that you need barbells and a squat rack.

HammondR 15 Dec 2021
In reply to rockwing:

Oops, just saw that you have a pull up bar! With kettlebells as well you're laughing!

OP rockwing 15 Dec 2021
In reply to HammondR:

> Oops, just saw that you have a pull up bar! With kettlebells as well you're laughing!

Thanks HR, much appreciated. Need to make Santa aware I still want this book then!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...