UKC

I am making a modular hangboard for my university final year project

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bendo 12 Jan 2023

Hi all, Im a final year student doing product design and for my major project i am designing a modular hangboard that is suitable to be mounted within a temporary residence. I would really appeaciate a few mins of your time to complete my survey. Thanks!

https://forms.office.com/e/y7RWQXrBEB

plyometrics 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

Done. Be very interested for you to share your final design when it’s ready. 

Best of luck. 

Simon Pelly 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

Done

Martin Hore 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

Done.

It wouldn't let me omit the question on bouldering grades. But I don't boulder! So I had to put V1. In reality, when I do get on a bouldering wall (rarely) I don't seem to get above V0.

I'm currently at 6a+ on proper climbing walls and HVS on real rock!

Martin

ArcherCampbell 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

done! sounds like a great project

Max factor 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

>mounted within a temporary residence.

Done.

Are there any commerically availabe products for this already? When I rented I took a drill and hammer to the ceiling and joists above, and as a homeowner my first attempt to mount a board into Victorian lathe and plaster had predictable consequences! I have now bodged something using a door mounted pull-up bar and some plywood which works Ok but took no little effort.  

john arran 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Max factor:

This is what I came up with 20 years ago, to help me through a 4-month contract away from home.
Worked surprisingly well and could be mounted/unmounted in just a few seconds.
I later considered making one where the holds were attached to the nodes of a concertina-type trellis, which would make it more portable, but I never got around to making one of those.

Post edited at 15:40

Derek Furze 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

I've submitted.  An interesting idea.  Presumably a modular approach means any holds could be swapped in?  Quite a good marketing opportunity I think as you could sell a 'basic' unit with upgrade options. 🙂

Fraser 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

Done,  but a couple of observations: qu. 3 makes qu. 5 redundant. Typo in qu.14: should be 'than' not 'then'. Also, you don't list pinches as a hold option. (OK, these are not generally available on hangboards, but some do offer this.)

climberchristy 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

Done. Good luck. 

RX-78 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

Crusher holds do something for mounting in a doorway that can be quickly mounted. I made my own based on the design and added some felt type stuff to reduce scratching potential of door frame.

mike123 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo: good idea and quick sensible quiz 

RX-78 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

I live in rented accommodation but drilled holes above the door to mount my hangboard. I will just fill in, plaster over and paint when leaving. We are never visited for inspection by landlord or agents so as long as its gone and no marks left when we leave it should all be fine. 

Andy Johnson 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

Done. Q11 could do with a "I don't know" option imo.

Good luck with the project and final year.

OP Bendo 13 Jan 2023
In reply to plyometrics:

Yeah I will do, thanks! 

OP Bendo 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Max factor:

There are some commercially available, in terms of both modularity and being able to hang on a door frame,  but im trying to mix both the ideas, and look into mateials mainly. Such as including a variety of different materials for the holds, such as granite or sandstone holds. 

OP Bendo 13 Jan 2023
In reply to john arran:

Thanks for showing what you've done. From part of the modularity aspect im thinking of making a part that basically has a travel hangboard which you can clip on and off the main frame hangboard. 

OP Bendo 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Derek Furze:

Thanks for doing the survey! Much appreciated. Yeah the idea is to make it as customisable as possible. And yeah i was thinking the same about having possible sets of holds, depending on difficulty. Also with the modularity aspect im looking into materials so it will be possible to swap out wooden holds to granite or sandstone holds for example. 

OP Bendo 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Fraser:

Thanks for doing the survey! Its much appreciated. And thanks for the feedback. Also adding pinches is a good idea, I simply just forgot about them, but is something I will definitely include in my designs. 

Derek Furze 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

Wow!  Good thinking and good luck

In reply to Bendo:

I've just completed your questionnaire, although I was sad to see that I scored 0% 😂

Best of luck with your project 

CantClimbTom 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

Done

cwarby 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Bendo:

Done. As well as modular, what about flexibility? Not everyone (wifey🙂) wants to see a permanent board up. My previous board had keyhole mountings. So all you need is 2 screws on the wall, slot it in and pull down to lock. The board was a PME so if you rotated it 180° you had a different set of holds i.e there were 2 keyholes on a piece of metal.

Good luck

OP Bendo 15 Jan 2023
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Yeah sorry about that, I didnt know it was a score thing, it was more for me to just see the orders people put. I appreciate your time though, thanks. 

OP Bendo 15 Jan 2023
In reply to cwarby:

Thanks for doing my survey, much appreciated Yeah another part of the hangboard design was focusing on use within temporary residence, so the idea that no drilling into walls, otherwise most places wont give you a deposit back. So its going to be like a modular hangboard as well as having the ability to be set up on a doorframe, a bit like a doorframe pullup bar, so ideally you can just easily take it down if needed. As well as maybe having a little drawstring bag to store the modular grips that aren't in use. Hope this makes sence. And thanks again for the feedback.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...