UKC

Inglesports/ingleton wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

It looks like the move north from the Peak is on, probably buying somewhere near Hutton Roof. Way back, I used to climb at Ingleton wall a fair bit when I was passing through on the way back from the Lakes. Just wondering if there are any current wall users on here to comment on how it is these days.  Web sites aren’t the most reliable source of info. 
How about Kendal? I remember the lead climbing being good, but bouldering not quite so good. Interested to hear experiences.

plyometrics 23 Oct 2022
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Can’t comment on Ingleton, but I’ve always thought the bouldering set up at Kendal was average.

That said, they’ve recently opened a dedicated bouldering wall in Lancaster, which I think is good. Not too inconvenient from Hutton Roof either.

Best of luck with the move. 

Jon Stewart 23 Oct 2022

Bouldering at Kendal is basically shite - decent setting, but a badly designed wall. But the same membership gets you into Lancaster, which is excellent. Its no frills - industrial estate, zero atmosphere, students, you know the deal. But the wall space and setting are really good. So long as you want a wall that's basically all slopers.

Post edited at 21:25
In reply to plyometrics:

Cheers, I’m going to be based a fair bit in Lancaster, so I’ll check it out.

I liked the vibe in Ingleton with the wall, cafes, pubs and a climbing shop. Hopefully it’s still ok

I know this is sacrilege, but decades in the Peak has left me really ready for a move.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Bouldering at Kendal is basically shite - decent setting, but a badly designed wall. But the same membership gets you into Lancaster, which is excellent. Its no frills - industrial estate, zero atmosphere, students, you know the deal. But the wall space and setting are really good. So long as you want a wall that's basically all slopers.

You’re painting a vision of hopelessness Jon. However, it’s my kind of hopelessness 

Ingleton wall is no longer run by Inglesport and they've invested pretty heavily at making it good! Well worth a visit.

Kendal is great for leading and I do enjoy the bouldering but I appreciate it splits opinions.

Lancaster Wall is good, still pretty new so yes, could do with a smidge more character but the setting and hold selection is great. 

Also, because I'm naff at geography Preston has 2 very good walls as well! Probably not even remotely close but Lancaster and Kendal are on the M6 and so is Preston 🤷🏼‍♂️

Exile 24 Oct 2022

As others have said Kendal for routes (and training room and 45degree board for me) and Lancaster for bouldering. (Lancaster opens at 9.00am on a Sunday morning and is only half an hour from Kendal at that time of day, before Lancaster one way system kicks into action.)

If using Lakeland Climbing Centres more than once a week the monthly direct debit works out best value, and is valid across both Kendal and Lancaster walls. 

biscuit 24 Oct 2022

Bouldering at Kendal isn't shite. The setting is good, it's just a bit small compared to what we're used to nowadays. However they have an excellent 30deg DTB there and two other boards. The training room has a great circuit board (the Malham board) but of course it's predominantly a routes centre.

The bouldering at Lancaster is brilliant. Good woody there too and they're just putting a Kilter board in.

Lots of atmosphere, very friendly staff and great setting. Not sure why people feel it's got no atmosphere. 

It is quite slopey in the lower grades but the black and mint circuits have some really good outdoor style problems. 

Jon Stewart 24 Oct 2022
In reply to biscuit:

> Bouldering at Kendal isn't shite. The setting is good, it's just a bit small compared to what we're used to nowadays.

The problem is how much is slab, vertical or roof, with barely any overhanging panels at 10-40 degrees, i.e. anything useful. It's a crap design, but they do a good job with what they've got.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...