UKC

Matrix Sheffield RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mick Brinks 29 Jun 2022

Closed for good 31 May apparently.

Understandable I suppose. Shame though.

Herdwickmatt 30 Jun 2022
In reply to Mick Brinks:

Sad times.... A happy university venue 17odd years ago...

Monk 30 Jun 2022
In reply to Mick Brinks:

That's sad. I was there when it opened and used it a lot (mainly because it was close to my house and so cheap!)

PaulJepson 30 Jun 2022
In reply to Monk:

I went a couple of times this year and was either on my own or one other person there. I suspect it mostly came down to the mats needing replacing, which I'd expect to cost in the region of £20k. They're also pretty limited on what they can set, as a lot of it is not your standard ply which you can just screw stuff into (so basically no volumes or screw-ons), so you are basically looking at a complete overhaul, for something they charge £5 a go on and probably make no more than £20 a day from on average. I'm not surprised they opted to close!

Aly 01 Jul 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

That’s a shame.  I’ve used it a lot in the past (as have plenty of students I suspect) and there used to be a pretty good scene there despite competition from the Foundry/Edge/Works.

I remember when it got busy people would accidentally sit on that emergency button and the reception staff would get grumpy having to keep checking everyone was ok. 

Simon King 01 Jul 2022
In reply to Mick Brinks:

Rumour has it they wanted the company who serviced the wall/changed the sets each month to have their own insurance. No one was interested...

Holdtickler 02 Jul 2022
In reply to Mick Brinks:

Sad to hear that. We used to enjoy it enough to travel over from Chez. I love all the modern super walls but there's always something special about the small walls where limited problems encourages creativity and you get a nice social scene. 

AddledGeezer 02 Jul 2022
In reply to Simon King:

Yeh, in the email when they explained why they were shutting it down, one of the reasons was difficulty in getting route setters...

Real shame to see it go--it was a great wee venue for a lunchtime boulder.

philipivan 02 Jul 2022
In reply to Holdtickler:

Totally, I loved the berghaus wall Eldon square and Whickham Thornes as a teenager. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...