UKC

New wall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chips4dayz 03 Apr 2023

Hey guys,

I'm desperate for a quality wall to open like Parthian in Southampton but more local as any quality wall like Parthian is a solid 45 minutes from where I am.

To me, Havant seems like it could be the perfect place to open an Olympic style climbing wall. Here are my thoughts:

Firstly, Havant is situated between two major cities, Portsmouth and Chichester, which have a combined population of over 400,000 people. This means that there is a significant potential market for an Olympic style climbing wall in the area.

As climbing has grown in popularity over the years, especially after it was included in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Opening a climbing wall in Havant would tap into this growing interest and provide a much-needed facility for local climbers.

South Downs National Park is located just a few miles away from Havant and is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, including climbers and there is enthusiastic uni groups in chichester and Portsmouth. An Olympic style climbing wall in Havant would complement the existing outdoor activities in the area and provide a year-round alternative for climbers when the weather is not great and anywhere else is so far.

With the huge growth of nearby places like Chichester has had in recent years just means more people to get into the sport and a great gap in the market for a wall.

Overall, I had high hopes for the Portsmouth leisure centre wall which turns out to be a bit of a waste of space if you ask me. However, I think Havant would be an excellent location for a climbing wall and would fill a gap in the market for a large facility in the east Hampshire area. There are so many huge warehouses around that would be perfect. What do you all think? Are there any other locations you think would be a good fit for a climbing wall? Or do you know one opening nearby?

Moacs 03 Apr 2023
In reply to Chips4dayz:

>  quality wall like Parthian

> major cities,  Chichester

> South Downs National Park is a popular destination for climbers

> huge growth of Chichester 

> Portsmouth leisure centre wall bit of a waste of space

You what mate?

In reply to Chips4dayz:

Not olympic style but Red Spider is a good little bouldering gym and only about 15-20 minutes drive from Havant. They do a lot of comp style, and dynamic stuff there so could be worth a visit.

Climber_Bill 04 Apr 2023
In reply to Chips4dayz:

In the early nineties there was a climber in Sheffield desperate for a good indoor climbing wall. Do you know what he did - opened one himself - The Foundry.

10 years ago in Brighton 2 climbers were desperate for a good indoor climbing wall. Do you know what they did - opened one themselves - Boulder Brighton.

Many other possible examples.

Today you are desperate for a good indoor climbing wall in Havant. I wonder what you could do?

DaveHK 04 Apr 2023
In reply to Climber_Bill:

> In the early nineties there was a climber in Sheffield desperate for a good indoor climbing wall. Do you know what he did - opened one himself - The Foundry.

> 10 years ago in Brighton 2 climbers were desperate for a good indoor climbing wall. Do you know what they did - opened one themselves - Boulder Brighton.

> Many other possible examples.

> Today you are desperate for a good indoor climbing wall in Havant. I wonder what you could do?

Suggestions like this crop up on lots of threads. Don't like your MP? Then run for government yourself. Don't have a local wall? Why not start one? How many people have the wherewithal to open a wall? 

Climber_Bill 04 Apr 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> Suggestions like this crop up on lots of threads. Don't like your MP? Then run for government yourself. Don't have a local wall? Why not start one? How many people have the wherewithal to open a wall? 

Why not run for government? Why not start a wall? The OP could try and get a consortium of like minded individuals to put together a business plan, find suitable buildings, raise the capital required etc.

Or, approach climbing centre companies with a well reasoned argument including potential sites, demographics etc. as to why they should open a wall in their area and offer to help represent local climbers to any opposition such as local authorities.

Simply saying I want a decent wall, but not doing anything about it won't achieve anything.

Post edited at 07:03
 DaveHK 04 Apr 2023
In reply to Climber_Bill:

> Simply saying I want a decent wall, but not doing anything about it won't achieve anything.

Sometimes people just like to have a bit of a moan and what's the point in offering a suggestion that 99% of people wouldn't be able or willing to take?

The Norris 04 Apr 2023
In reply to Chips4dayz:

I sympathise! I live in taunton and have written out, then deleted similar posts! 

I've thought long and hard about opening a wall myself, emailed a few companies for prices, emailed sport England even! I just haven't quite built up the courage to take the plunge.... it's a lot of money! Maybe next year...

In reply to Chips4dayz:

I’m calling ClimbGPT

Max factor 04 Apr 2023
In reply to Chips4dayz:

Can we have an olympic facility in London before we do Chichester please? Not that I have antyhing against the place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...