UKC

Pal for teenager

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Groundhog 14 May 2021

My grandson (14) and I have been climbing together for some years indoor and out. He is now registered at Awesome, Stockport as a competent climber and can now lead and belay me. He is about my weight. I am getting the impression that he is bored with climbing with an old man! He enjoys climbing with his cousin much more but unfortunately he lives too far away to do this on a regular basis. I think he would benefit from climbing with someone his own age. Anyone local with a teenager in a similar position? 

Mark Haward 14 May 2021
In reply to Groundhog:

Sorry, I'm not local but does the wall have a noticeboard or a digital platform you could also post on? Is there a kids club that the wall organises? Good luck...

Climber_Bill 14 May 2021
In reply to Groundhog:

As Marks suggests, Kids club is an option. But he might be too old and experienced for that now.

What is the bouldering like? My son, when he got to that age, preferred to boulder and met other keen teenagers that way, who he now goes to the crags with bouldering and sport climbing. If the bouldering isn't great, perhaps try a dedicated bouldering wall occasionally.

If he finds some other keen kids his age he gets on with, they'll prefer to arrange to climb together themselves using one of those black box things they all seem to carry these days.

Post edited at 09:27
In reply to Groundhog:

Hi Groundhog

I don't know the specifics but it looks like Awesome Walls run clubs for young climbers (up to 19 years of age) at Stockport:  https://awesomewalls.co.uk/youth-uk/

Sounds like this would be a good way for your grandson to meet people in his age bracket who may be in a similar position and looking for people to climb with.  

Post edited at 09:35
 Andy Hardy 14 May 2021
In reply to Groundhog:

Suggest that he tries out for the comp. squad at Stockport? - ACE - run by Andy Smith.

OP Groundhog 14 May 2021
In reply to Mark Haward:

Thanks for the replies.

We are going to AW at 4pm today and was going to ask about the clubs and whatever else they can suggest.

Meanwhile if anyone on here fits the bill please let me know. Perhaps I could team up with parents/grandparents. All my contemporaries are either past it or dead!

Jenny C 14 May 2021
In reply to Groundhog:

Clubs are a good idea and whilst he may not want to go long term, it would give him a chance to meet a similar aged (safe) climbing partner. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...