UKC

What do people think of the Kilterboard?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi 

When I was at Beacon Climbing I noticed that the Kilter board had big holds and I am wondering if it can be used to build upper body strength and power.

What are peoples thoughts on the Kilterboard?

There are a few walls in London that have a KB including the recently opened Boardroom Climbing in Wimbledon and EustonWall.

Bye 

YVBIL

Post edited at 13:55
 Jackspratt 07 Jun 2023
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Brilliant, The one I used was 50degrees, very ergonomic holds and user friendly perfect for developing power.

AlanLittle 07 Jun 2023

I find it great. Love the ability to try something at gradually steeper angles and notice how much harder it gets - I flashed my current project at 10° and 15°, 20° took me two sessions and I'm currently working on 25°

The downsides - sharing the board is tricky, you either need to get on it at times when it's quiet, or be with somebody who wants to do similar grades/angles. And some of the grading, especially at lower grades and angles, is ludicrously random.

climber34neil 07 Jun 2023

They are great, holds are finger friendly so less chance of injury, I also like the way the holds light up so foot holds are easy to see (better than just an led up der the hold ) . Worth noting that not all kilterboards are of the adjustable angle variety if that's a key feature you are after. The one I've used in Sheffield is, however it also has been broken quite a lot which is slightly annoying if you've gone specifically for that and it's stuck at a different angle. 

Like all boards of that kind, they are for developing power, hard explosive moves etc rather than endurance 

> When I was at Beacon Climbing I noticed that the Kilter board had big holds and I am wondering if it can be used to build upper body strength and power.

Yep, it definitely can. That's exactly what it's for. Haven't had access to one until fairly recently but now I'm sold.

For me it's the best of the many variants because the holds are the least injurific and you don't get the 'everything's a pinch' kind of training you're stuck with on most woodys. Plus I find there ends up being loads more variety than you get on a moon board because on those at below V9 there's realistically only half a dozen moves you can string together in very few different ways.

Other opinions are available.

AlanLittle 07 Jun 2023
In reply to climber34neil:

> Like all boards of that kind, they are for developing power, hard explosive moves etc rather than endurance 

They do have a circuits feature in the app. I tried it once and disliked it intensely. There's no facility to see the whole thing at once; it only lights up a few holds at a time, the newly lit holds can be difficult to see from above and it doesn't have (or I didn't see) any way to adjust the pace.

In reply to Jackspratt:

> Brilliant, The one I used was 50degrees, very ergonomic holds and user friendly perfect for developing power.

The ones that I have are fixed, I think, at 45 degrees. There is one in AWCC Sheffield where the user can change the angle.

Decent footholds too!

YVBIL 

climber34neil 07 Jun 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

I didn't know that, although doesn't sound particularly helpful if it doesn't light up! Is it supposed to light up in sequence as you climb? Could get confusing otherwise I guess 

In reply to AlanLittle:

> I find it great. Love the ability to try something at gradually steeper angles and notice how much harder it gets - I flashed my current project at 10° and 15°, 20° took me two sessions and I'm currently working on 25°

The one at EustonWall is fixed (at an angle) and so is the one at Beacon Climbing but I am not sure about the one at Boardroom Climbing - I will check out the centre on Friday. The AWCC Sheffied one is adjustable.

> The downsides - sharing the board is tricky, you either need to get on it at times when it's quiet, or be with somebody who wants to do similar grades/angles. And some of the grading, especially at lower grades and angles, is ludicrously random.

When I've been to a wall with a KB there are just a few people using it.

YVBIL 

> They are great, holds are finger friendly so less chance of injury, I also like the way the holds light up so foot holds are easy to see (better than just an led up der the hold ) . Worth noting that not all kilterboards are of the adjustable angle variety if that's a key feature you are after. The one I've used in Sheffield is, however it also has been broken quite a lot which is slightly annoying if you've gone specifically for that and it's stuck at a different angle.  

I love the size of the grey holds and the lighting up is a great feature. Apart the one in the AWCC Sheffield training area, the ones I have seen are at a fixed angle. Is it the AWCC Sheffield one or the one at The Climbing Hangar Sheffied?

> Like all boards of that kind, they are for developing power, hard explosive moves etc rather than endurance 

Yep, circuit boards and splatter boards are used for building endurance.

YVBIL

In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

>  

> Yep, it definitely can. That's exactly what it's for. Haven't had access to one until fairly recently but now I'm sold.

The big holds really sold it for me.

> For me it's the best of the many variants because the holds are the least injurific and you don't get the 'everything's a pinch' kind of training you're stuck with on most woodys. Plus I find there ends up being loads more variety than you get on a moon board because on those at below V9 there's realistically only half a dozen moves you can string together in very few different ways.

At CanaryWall there is a woody with mainly pinches homand crimpy pinches and the other one is woody has a variety of holds but is steeper. I have the App and there are problems of all grades.

> Other opinions are available.

YVBIL

climber34neil 08 Jun 2023

Awesome walls has the adjustable board ( when it works )

racodemisa 08 Jun 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

I have made up my own circuits 50 hand moves.@15-20 degrees aerobic capacity then any steeper (for me )it becomes anaerobic and the number of hand moves reduce.For unroped endurance training fantastic imo

When I was there it was working. What do you think of the new training area at AWCC Sheffied? I was very impressed with it.

YVBIL 

AlanLittle 08 Jun 2023

> Is it supposed to light up in sequence as you climb?

Exactly that

AlanLittle 08 Jun 2023

> The ones that I have are fixed, I think, at 45 degrees.

That's a shame, all of my local ones are tiltable, and the tilting is one of the big plus points for me. Not cheap though - my son works at one of the local walls, and he told me theirs cost around 70k€ each.

Post edited at 09:39

I haven't been so I've no idea. I only go to the depot for training/indoor climbing. That has everything I need, the rest of the time I go to the crag 

In reply to racodemisa:

> I have made up my own circuits 50 hand moves.@15-20 degrees aerobic capacity then any steeper (for me )it becomes anaerobic and the number of hand moves reduce.For unroped endurance training fantastic imo

Interesting

YVBIL

Post edited at 10:58

> I haven't been so I've no idea. I only go to the depot for training/indoor climbing. That has everything I need, the rest of the time I go to the crag 

Wait a minute!...

....  Then, how do you know AWCC Sheffield has a tilting Kilterboard? 🤔😮 Are you linked to you know who in anyway?

When I am in Sheffield, I indoor climb and train at the Depot. The same goes for me - apart from having a suspension trainer rather than gym rings. I have been to a crag a few times - twice to  Burbage North and once to Stanage. So, you don't indoor lead climb then?!

YVBIL

Rarely, I prefer to do that at the crag, but if I do then it is at the foundry

In reply to AlanLittle:

> > The ones that I have are fixed, I think, at 45 degrees.

> That's a shame, all of my local ones are tiltable, and the tilting is one of the big plus points for me. Not cheap though - my son works at one of the local walls, and he told me theirs cost around 70k€ each.

It is a shame, but never mind. Around 60k in pound sterling is expensive. If you space abs the money you can buy one for your place.

https://serious-climbing.com/products/home-wall-kilter-board-7x10-mainline-...

YVBIL

> Rarely, I prefer to do that at the crag, but if I do then it is at the foundry

I have lead climbed at The Foundry a few times. Which crags do you climb at?

YVBIL 

Not as good as the Moonboard for what I want to do IMHO...

My reasoning is that in order to get the same training benefit with its holds you need to tilt to super steep (if tiltable) and that's just not the kind of climbing I'm training for - specificity wise, for most UK route climbing the Moonboard 25 seems far more relevant (although the 40 is good fun as long as you leave your ego at the door)... 

Just my opinion....

In reply to Duncan Disorderly:

> Not as good as the Moonboard for what I want to do IMHO...

I used the Moon Board set at Arch Building 1 once and that was the only time I used a Moon Board.

> My reasoning is that in order to get the same training benefit with its holds you need to tilt to super steep (if tiltable) and that's just not the kind of climbing I'm training for - specificity wise, for most UK route climbing the Moonboard 25 seems far more relevant (although the 40 is good fun as long as you leave your ego at the door)... 

> Just my opinion....

All over really,  I'm based in the Peak so there are quality crags , sport, trad, boulder and of course the best of all, dry tooling all on my doorstep 

LucaC 08 Jun 2023

The Kilter Board is great. More enjoyable than the tweaky holds on the Moon board, but perhaps not so good for training the straight on style of nasty crimping the Moon board replicated quite well. 

Great stuff. I need to get out on rock more. Are you a fan of RT and WCJ?

I might head to Parisella's Cave next week?

YVBIL

Yes definitely,  all great crags/areas

> Yes definitely,  all great crags/areas

All have easy approaches too!

I'm psyched for Cave of Justice. 💪💪💪💪

YVBIL 

In reply to LucaC:

> The Kilter Board is great. More enjoyable than the tweaky holds on the Moon board, but perhaps not so good for training the straight on style of nasty crimping the Moon board replicated quite well. 

With all the great stuff I've read about it, I am psyched to get on it one.

YVBIL

I assume you mean the tooling cave at masson ? 

Fraser 08 Jun 2023

What does YVBIL mean or stand for?

> I assume you mean the tooling cave at masson ? 

Nope, the sea cave in Llandudno where John Gaskin's son has done hard as nailz stuff.

YVBIL 

In reply to Fraser:

> What does YVBIL mean or stand for?

Go on. 

Have a guess?

I'll DM you afterwards with what the abbrevs stand for.

YVBIL

Oh I see, tooling is the only true path to enlightenment of course

I was wondering that as well 

I have done a bit of DT at Ellis Brigham in Covent Garden but it was more like mixed climbing.

YVBIL  

> I was wondering that as well 

I think 🤔 , by what you said it your previous message, you know something about YVBIL. 

Here is a clue:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/can_a_problem_be_a_route_and_a_...

YVBIL 

Still no idea I'm afraid,  how about

"You're very big in London "?

> Still no idea I'm afraid,  how about

> "You're very big in London "?

Well I am well known at a few walls. 

Didn't you see the video?

YVBIL

climber34neil 09 Jun 2023

I guess not 

Another clue: 🇻🇦

YVBIL

Vatican city flag??, still no idea 

Fraser 09 Jun 2023

> Go on. 

> Have a guess?

NT, IDRCWIM

> Vatican city flag??, still no idea 

¡Bien hecho, ya sabes lo que significa la V!

Clue 2: Joven en inglés is the Y.

YVBIL

In reply to Fraser:

> NT, IDRCWIM

I don't know what your abbrevs stand for.

YVBIL

Well done, young man  ?

> Well done, young man  ?

Well, Y does stand for young. 😀

Have you worked out what BIL stands for?!

YVBIL 

McHeath 09 Jun 2023

Young Version (of) Brown In Llanberis?

Went to The Boardroom Wimbledon today and their Kilterboard has not been set up yet. ☹️

But Aldgate City Bouldering has one! 😀💪

YVBIL 

In reply to McHeath:

> Young Version (of) Brown In Llanberis?

I wish! 

I was in Llanberis in mid-ish may but I went to V12 and not Joe Browns!

You know what it stands for don't you?! 😉

YVBIL

Post edited at 22:45
 wbo2 09 Jun 2023

Youthful virility battered in lard

In reply to wbo2:

> Youthful virility battered in lard

Nope but I do feel youthful.😀

YVBIL 

In reply to wbo2:

Thanks. My bod fat is below 20% though.

YVBIL 

climber34neil 10 Jun 2023

I'm guessing "bathes in larger '?

Nope, I am dry - I didn't even have an alcoholic drink on NYE.

climber34neil 10 Jun 2023

I've no idea then

Conozco a YV desde que era un adolescente

YVBIL

jezb1 10 Jun 2023

Por que estás escribiendo en Español on UKC? 😂😂😂

In reply to jezb1:

Me gusta practicar la escritura en español y a alguien no le gusta que mencione a cierto escalador conocido

¿Sabes qué escalador no puedo mencionar?

YVBIL

jezb1 10 Jun 2023

No me importa que escalador, lo siento!

YV is on something attached to a harness but can be found bouldering in The Peak or more recently international comps.

YVBIL

climber34neil 11 Jun 2023

Not a clue, especially if y is young 

Bulls Crack 11 Jun 2023

Young virile boys in lycra? 

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Well I have known YV since he was a teenager climbing hard as nailz. I met him at a party in a medieval building with defenses.

He does like to show his and use his 💪💪.

YVBIL 

Post edited at 22:37

> Not a clue, especially if y is young 

He hasn't climbed 9a yet but I hope he will RP Hubble (9a) soon.

YVBIL 

Post edited at 22:33
 plyometrics 12 Jun 2023

Jim Pope Bouldering In Llandudno.

In reply to plyometrics:

> Jim Pope Bouldering In Llandudno.

YV is JP!....

....But he is not joining me this time as he is off to KI for IFSC comp mid week.

I am not sure if CoJ is his bag but he has bouldered on limestone including at Crag X (Derbyshire) .

YVBIL

Post edited at 09:58

I've sent you a dm.

YVBIL

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...