UKC

Are there any good pubs in Froggatt or Curbar ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 06 Sep 2023

I suspect not ! But if not where are the closet for a good pint ? 

stani 06 Sep 2023
In reply to mike123:

The Bridge Inn at curbar is ok.

The Grouse Inn nearer Froggatt is ok too.

stani 06 Sep 2023
In reply to stani:

The Bridge Inn is actually in Calver.... not far though

PaulJepson 06 Sep 2023
In reply to mike123:

The Grouse is a nice pub with a lovely view from the tables outside.

I wouldn't bother with The Chequers. 

In reply to mike123:

The Grouse is your best bet. 

In reply to mike123:

The Grouse was my favourite when we lived there, I think they have Pedigree on plus some others. Food is ok, dog friendly, and a great view sitting outside. Similarly the Bridge Inn which has a nice beer garden alongside the Derwent. I liked the food generally at the Chequers, and they had decent beer, but it's not really a climbing pub. 

In reply to mike123:

Derwentwater Arms in Calver is good and does an amazing Sunday roast!

spenser 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

There is no competition, Derwent Water Arms is excellent.

philipivan 06 Sep 2023
In reply to mike123:

Grouse is great! Chequers is too posh for climbers. Sounds like I need to try the one in Calver.

In reply to mike123:

Another vote for the Derwentwater Arms. Great beer and food, plus the local family bought out the brewery which makes a nice change.

The Sir William in Grindleford does fantastic food since Beyond the Edge took it over.

The Chequers has a nice selection of beers and a lovely garden but suspect others might have convinced you otherwise!

alx 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

If you are heading as far as the Sir William then the five minute drive will get you to The Barrel Inn which could boast the best view in the Peak 

Ramblin dave 06 Sep 2023
In reply to alx:

> If you are heading as far as the Sir William then the five minute drive will get you to The Barrel Inn which could boast the best view in the Peak 

Is the Barrel still good for a pint and a bag of crisps after a walk? I've not been for ages, but the food menu looks pretty fancy these days...

John Gresty 06 Sep 2023
In reply to mike123:

Reminds of a story I was once told regarding The Chequers.

Many, many years ago, two well known climbers called in there for a drink after climbing on Froggatt. They were asked to leave, being told, 'We don't serve climbers here' to which the response was 'But I'm Sir Jack Longland and this is Sir Edmund Hilary', publicans reply went somewhere along the lines of 'I don't care who you are, get out'.

Now this was told to me by someone who knew Jack Longland, and I believe was told the tale by Jack himself.

John

PaulJepson 06 Sep 2023
In reply to John Gresty:

I went there for a meal after climbing a couple of years ago and it's a mistake I won't make again. 

Left a mediocre review about prices and portion sizes (still 3 star mind, just said it wasn't the best option if you're starving after being out all day) and they gave me a shirty reply punctuated with "Rather than criticise a business for not offering what you want, maybe you should book somewhere that does offer your standard 'pub grub', because unfortunately we don't."

So if you want wanky small portions and a general disdain for climbers then they may be the pub you're looking for!

UKB Shark 06 Sep 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

I enjoyed the food and beer at the Chequers and found the staff to be really friendly 

pencilled in 06 Sep 2023
In reply to UKB Shark:

Yeah me too, although I was with my family so in disguise. 

stani 07 Sep 2023
In reply to alx:

Great shout 👌

OP mike123 07 Sep 2023
In reply to mike123: thanks all . Will go to grouse or Derwent water arms and report back . Meeting an old mate one evening next week for a couple of routes and a refreshing beverage . Shame it wasn’t this week .

Post edited at 06:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...