UKC

"Sea cliff climbing" travel insurance twice as expensive as trad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jessegeerts 24 Sep 2023

I was wondering if anybody here has experience with True Traveller insurance. They seem to be the only ones offering climbing insurance for trips longer than 90 days, but I'm confused by the differences in their activity packs -- they have 4 levels of risk: traveller, adventure, extreme or ultimate. 

For our trip we will be doing bolted routes only, which at first sight seems to be covered by their "adventure pack", under "Rock Climbing (outdoor/ traditional/ sport climbing/ bolted/ aid climbing) – No soloing/ Sea Cliff/ Ice Climbing/ Big wall climbing". 

However it says no Sea Cliff climbing. In fact sea cliff climbing is in their most expensive "ultimate" pack (together with ice climbing). I don't understand why? Are they talking about something different from some nice bolted lines by the sea? Or is there some particular danger about climbing on sea cliffs that I'm unaware of? 

In reply to jessegeerts:

They presumably mean tidal cliffs, with associated difficulties of access and rescue. 

henwardian 25 Sep 2023
In reply to jessegeerts:

>  Are they talking about something different from some nice bolted lines by the sea? Or is there some particular danger about climbing on sea cliffs that I'm unaware of? 

You can't know without a specific enquiry to the company. Nobody on UKC is going to be able to answer the question either because it depends on what the underwriters of the insurance say, you need to speak to them. Personally I'd recommend that you start enquiries 3 months before your trip and work on the assumption you'll need 20 or 30 hours spread out over that 3 months to get a proper answers to your questions.

Even then, you'll just be looking at more questions. I mean, right off the bat, what's the difference between big wall and aid climbing? Sleeping on the wall for a night? What if you fix half way, rap to the ground, sleep there and then send the next day, is that still a big wall? What if you get benighted on a long trad climb, sleep on a ledge and then have to finish the next morning - are you now magically no longer insured? Is it not a big wall if you don't sleep during the night and simply sit still shivering?!

How far from the sea is classed as a "sea cliff"?

If a climb has a couple of bolts on it and needs trad gear, is it bolted climbing or trad climbing?

If an artificial wall is outdoors, is it outdoor climbing or gym climbing?

This all might sound farcical but you have to remember that you are dealing with an insurance company and when it comes to any claims, they will be looking for any reason, however farcical, to get out of having to pay out. You don't have to look too far to find tales online of insurance refusing to pay out for helicopters or medical treatment despite the person getting into trouble during _exactly_ the sport they got the insurance for because some slimeball at the insurance company finds a way to twist the fine print.

My 2 cents: First have a look at the Austrian Alpine Club, they have a basic policy and something augmented for very long trips I think, take a look at the fine print anyway. If that isn't for you then take the more expensive option above because in the event of any claim on a crag even close to the sea, they are guaranteedly going to refuse to pay out.

Luke01 25 Sep 2023
In reply to jessegeerts:

I bet they mean DWS. 

Toerag 25 Sep 2023
In reply to Luke01:

If they do, then they're very incompetent in the wording of their policy, and I'd be wondering what other incompetencies there are.

Maz66 25 Sep 2023
In reply to jessegeerts:

Sea Cliff to me means cliffs where the sea is immediately below the rockface. This isn't beginner stuff, due to the tides, the effect the salt has had on the rock face (and really don't trust any old bolts as they may have been affected by the salt), birds nesting and all that can entail, and you can't exactly abseil down if you get into problems... you'll have to prusik up.

It shouldn't mean a cliff near the seaside... that makes no sense to me.

Howard J 25 Sep 2023
In reply to jessegeerts:

I have no idea what they mean, but I'm hoping everyone will be impressed that my bimbling around on Severes at Saddle Head is considered "Ultimate".

Toerag 25 Sep 2023
In reply to Maz66:

...and if you're on an upper tier with ledge system below?

Maz66 25 Sep 2023
In reply to Toerag:

If facing the sea, I’d still see that as sea cliff climbing personally as the face of the rock would still have salt water damage, and the ledge may not allow for easy escape. 

ewanjp 25 Sep 2023
In reply to jessegeerts:

Doesn't really matter what the definition any of us think of - insurance companies will use anything to get out of a claim. So if you're climbing near the sea on a cliff then it's sea cliff climbing. If you want to use this company get the ultimate package...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...