UKC

Shorn Cliff Abseil Points

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 08 Jun 2023

I can't remember. or find, a previous post on this. Apologies if it's been covered already.

We climbed a number of the starred routes at Shorn Cliff on Tuesday and at the top of each route found a brand new swaged and sheaved stainless steel cable sling and maillon for the abseil. A briliant replacement for the accumulated tat which was previously present. 

Well done and huge thanks to the team who did the work on this. It must have involved considerable time, effort and money. If anyone is personally out of pocket, please let us know so that regular Shorn Cliff climbers can make a contribution.

Martin

PaulJepson 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

Oh amazing! I remember squirrels were having a go at some of them. 

Cheese Monkey 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

Hi this is being done more now as we begin to move on from the Wintours Leap project. Donations from that has started things off and we will continue when more equipment comes in. If anyone would like to help out (it's pretty straightforward to fit a strop) please get in touch.

In reply to dinodinosaur:

That's not correct, it is the Wintours regearing project leading this. However the fb group is a good one and several of the members have done some of the work.

Post edited at 15:17
 Simon Pelly 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

Hi Martin,

Climbed there on Thursday last week and pleasantly surprised with the quality lower offs.

Hope you're keeping well. Been a long time since seen you.

Simon...

dinodinosaur 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

I'm sorry, I meant the wintours regearing project. I thought there was a link in the Facebook post detailing this and a link to the PayPal donation account.

Post edited at 21:18

beardy mike 08 Jun 2023

Hi, have mentioned it to others in the past, I know strops are very bloody expensive for no good reason. I have the crimpers to make strops to order. Tell me what you want and I'm more than happy to do it for the cost of the materials, which is barely anything compared to the preassembled ones from Lyon. I can do up to 8mm cable in 316 stainless or MIL Spec which is considerably stronger.

In reply to dinodinosaur:

Is this the same group that felled various healthy trees at the top of the crag? The trees felled included yew trees, I would suggest that this element is vandalism.

BStar 08 Jun 2023
In reply to HighChilternRidge:

No it is not the same group.  I do believe that work was carried out by the forestry commission 

Post edited at 23:11

That would be the FC removing their own trees that they considered dangerous, so no, not vandalism. I believe they also sorted a tree that had definitely become dangerous for us at the same time.

In reply to beardy mike:

Thanks I'll get the organising man to drop you a message. The strops arent too expensive, its properly sized maillons and rings which add up very quickly.

BStar 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

Thanks for the kind words. We have a paypal donate link available that will allow us to continue to put more up.  

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=EYF4STG4KWMQQ&fbclid=IwA...

I find it difficult to believe FC would have removed limbs of trees that were in the line of abseils and belays particularly at the top of the crag. In addition yew trees are named in many of the statutory designations in the lower Wye Valley. 

Cheese Monkey 09 Jun 2023

Feel free to contact the access rep who will tell you exactly the same thing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...