UKC

Worlds longest rock climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gazleah 20 Nov 2023

I recently finished a film about rock climbing the worlds longest rock climb. Please give it a watch and share if you like it.

The Long Wall - https://youtu.be/moAG2PmknWs?si=pge_bfuzKvBx4swR

Thanks in advance!

john arran 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

I entered with trepidation, fearing a California-style mega cringe fest, laden with student humour and embarrassing geekiness.

All my worst fears came true.

It was great 😃

hang_about 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

I was disappointed they weren't carrying unstable explosives with them. Otherwise top film making!

Fraser 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Best climbing film I've seen in a very long time, great work!

David Coley 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Almost Alpine 2. Excellent 

Dave Garnett 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Brilliant!  

What about a winter ascent, or solo, or both?

JLS 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

It came up on my Youtube feed at the weekend. Excellent work. Thanks.

Brass Nipples 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Great stuff

dunc56 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

you obviously never seen me doing a blue at the Depot !

sandrow 20 Nov 2023
 Steve Woollard 20 Nov 2023
In reply to David Coley:

One for you to do 🤣

Fat Bumbly 2.0 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Loved it - all that lichen, real Creag Cywarch vibe.     Next stop - Crab Crawl?

CantClimbTom 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

wow, that goes all the way from artificial to unnecessary to downright idiotic and just keeps pushing way beyond all that lot -- into utterly glorious brilliance!

In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

> Loved it - all that lichen, real Creag Cywarch vibe.     Next stop - Crab Crawl?

🤔 I wonder what sort of traverses could be stitched together in Cwm Cywarch?

robert-hutton 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Seems to be about half the length of Ron's Girdle Traverse on Stanage!

Fat Bumbly 2.0 20 Nov 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

You like heather?

PaulJepson 20 Nov 2023
In reply to robert-hutton:

This is true but that traverse isn't really continual is it. Probably ~50% walking. 

Ian Parsons 20 Nov 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

> This is true but that traverse isn't really continual is it. Probably ~50% walking. 

To be strictly accurate it probably can be described as continual; not continuous, though.

olddirtydoggy 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Bill & Teds meets The Dawn Wall. Best watch in ages, genuinely funny and actually good climbing.

dr evil 20 Nov 2023
In reply to robert-hutton: the Exmoor Coastal Traverse is 60,000ft so beats that. Best climbing film I’ve seen for ages though.

Michael Hood 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Nice bit of anarchic fun 😁 - thank you

In reply to Gazleah:

I am enjoying this a lot so far. Really fun, and the titles you gave people are cracking me up. 

'Gunks groundfall legend' hahaha

duncan b 21 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Fantastic film! I noticed you posted this back in 2014 on a thread about your NYC guide, "I'm currently working on a new project to complete what could be one of the worlds longest routes.". Has this film been almost 10 years in the making? I'm intrigued as to its backstory now. 

OP Gazleah 27 Nov 2023
In reply to duncan b:

I had attempted it myself a long time ago when I had just completed writing a bouldering guide to NYC. Unfortunately, we didn’t make it very far due to a partner needing to go to work - but the idea stayed with me. 

A few years ago I was frustrated by the climbing media I saw - I couldn’t relate. Trying hard was important, and so we’re big objectives, but it was the same film format with the same people. I wanted to hear some new perspectives and get back to what climbing was about - two people going on one of life’s metaphorical side quests.

I decided to write a film about two climbers traversing the Great Wall mixed in a bunch of silly moments and idle belay chatter that we all love. After talking to some friends, I was introduced to Drew and Ben and knew they were the perfect people to take on something that’s actually pretty spicy and utterly ridiculous. 

and we’ll, this is what you have!

ebdon 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

I thought it was a both a joyous celebration of the silliness, camaraderie and adventure that makes climbing so rewarding and a hilarious pastiche on many of the current clichés in big budget sponsored films. 

Thanks for making it,

Mark Eddy 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Really enjoyed that, thank you

David Coley 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Gazleah:

Please send Dew and Ben over to climb this

Wonderland (E1 5c)

Also not seen a second ascent. It's above the sea. They would love it. Probably 

Post edited at 14:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...