UKC

Kendal Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So, have sold our house in The Peak and just about to complete purchase of a house in Cumbria and checking out the local walls. I went into Kendal to the wall yesterday, literally for the first time since its opening in 1995.

My memory is pretty hazy at the best of times, the main lead wall is the same height as I recall, but I thought there was more of it. Was it made smaller to accommodate the bouldering or is it just the effect of seeing too many mega walls in the interim? 

Ps, no criticism intended, it’s a great wall and the bouldering was way better than I was led to expect

Godwin 05 Mar 2023
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Will you soon be Paul_in_kendal?

Rick Graham 05 Mar 2023

You must have grown since 1995. Like visiting your old junior school, everything seems so small.

In 95 the main wall was 17 m high I think. Got extended a few years later to 25m.Several adjustments later to width and features.  The walls and building  has been constantly ungraded over the years.

petegunn 05 Mar 2023

The main lead wall is 8m higher now than when it first opened. Also where the entrance used to be with the viewing platform above is now another wall - this does pen it in a bit but has made more of the space/height available for lead climbing.

Post edited at 15:04
In reply to Godwin:

blimey, i’m still coming to terms with moving after 40 plus years climbing and living around the Peak. One step at a time 😂

In reply to Rick Graham:

> You must have grown since 1995. Like visiting your old junior school, everything seems so small.

> In 95 the main wall was 17 m high I think. Got extended a few years later to 25m.Several adjustments later to width and features.  The walls and building  has been constantly ungraded over the years.

yep, think you’re right about memories being unreliable. Anyway, it’s my local wall now, in tandem with the bouldering wall in Lancaster which will do very nicely

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...